Review January -March 2018

Introduction
4 weeks ago, I thought  it was time for an update; this time for the period December 2017 to March 2018. Now I thought that would be a very straightforward exercise as it was never a time when really dramatic events were forecast for our chosen selection of countries and markets.
And, indeed, the first thing that can be said is that, overall, the forecast pretty much nailed the relative calm of the period.  Something that is often overlooked in the quest for success in predicting major global events is the ability to predict not a lot happening…..like most of the time in Switzerland!
However, due to the fact the period was not so quiet astrologically for me personally, I didn’t manage to finish my review by the beginning of April. And the last week has been rather more dramatic due to the Syria scenario. So now I’ve had to revisit a few countries to see whether I need to update my review for those events.
Having said that, everything happened in a short period of time and these forecasts, especially the country ones ( markets being more sensitive in the short term) are designed for longer trends and unless large numbers of the population are affected the events will not show up .  If we were to look at day to day forecasts it would be a different matter.- but we don’t do that because I have a life! So I have to be cautious when assessing what I could have been expected to forecast and what was too short term for that.
In any case there were other places where a moderate amount of things did happen so let’ s look at the detail and see how we did..
UK
Certainly my summary of the conditions from December to March ( when the focus on the details of Brexit just won’t go away) was accurate.
Although the economic conditions ( retail bankruptcies) seem at first sight to be recessionary rather than inflationary – it is the inflationary pressures of exchange rates that are the issue here. And interestingly  2 facts support the suggestion; the above inflation pay rises being offered to NHS workers and the prospect of interest rises
Of course some things have made headline news such as the “Russian poisoning” saga but these will barely show up the nation’s chart as so far they have directly affected very few people.
p.s. I would have expected some impact from the impact of the Syria events  on the government to show up. However there is so much ongoing pressure that it is hard to extract this short term event. Even looking at the UK chart for the past weekend doesn’t reveal anything other than ongoing pressure on the leadership.
Sterling
The currency definitely continues to encounter fluctuations due to the Brexit uncertainties but there are factors affecting other countries such as the US that impact too.  Still the currency has overall weakened in the period as expected.
It is too early to judge whether the expected focus on Sterling trade throughout all of 2018 will materialise
FTSE
I was wrong about the FTSE though, the direction in early January was correct but from then of the index has languished.
 
Euro
 
It is also difficult to assess the Euro forecast on the basis of just two months- although there is no doubt that interest rate expectations continue to dominate.

 
 
Germany
Of course my best forecast for Germany was that there would be lack of policy direction post election and once again the forecast for Jan to March was not specific enough to measure – we need to look at the year as a whole.
 
France
The forecast correctly identified the positive mood regarding economic progress. But I urged caution and there are certainly areas of dissent that need watching evidenced by farmer and other protests.
 
 
Italy
I anticipated changes in Italy in the last 2 months of 2017 and the parliament was dissolved in December. I saw somewhat better conditions in January and February and the opportunity to transform in March. In fact the economy is better ( but only compared to itself but not other countries) and this has led to a change in the balance of power in the March elections. I had March as “curious” a good explanation of the strange voting outcome.
 
Spain
I am quite pleased that although I forecast the independence pressures in the late summer I had correctly anticipated things being quieter and more positive by year end.
I saw positive sentiment for the first three months of 2018 and indeed the economic indicators have improved. I thought that even protests would have a positive vibe as indeed the recent women’s day ones have done.
 
Greece
I expected a gradual recognition of continuing problems in Greece.
In fact the economy there has grown for the 4th successive quarter and its debt has been upgraded. However analysts tend to agree with me that the debt overhang is still too great and the August date looms. I still expect this to cause a noticeable shake in global financial matters.
 
 
Ireland
Ireland continued to do well as expected. My concerns about the uncertainties over future direction turned out to be issues regarding the Irish border due to UK Brexit.
This dichotomy continued in the early part of 2018, though the view seems to accord with mine that Ireland’s economy  is now maturing.
 
 
Switzerland
As expected Switzerland continues to be fine.; A US survey ranked it 1st globally once more.  As usual there is little to be said.
 
 
Iceland
Overall as forecast the economy continues to go well. But environmental concerns are once more under the spotlight – with both climate change and bitcoin energy drain in the news. As I’ve said before I see Iceland as the coalmine canary when it comes to the environment.
 
USA
I predicted a somewhat quieter time for the US in Jan and Feb, and to some extent that was true. The talk of new tariffs and interest rate rises also confirmed the financial stability forecast.
But I thought that March April would bring a return to Sept/Oct 2017 and with more changes in the top team etc this seems to be the way things are going.
p.s. When I wrote the above a few weeks ago I was surprised that the sabre rattling than occurred in the August –October period had not recurred. But,  lo and behold,  I needed to only wait a couple of weeks for events to confirm this expectation. 
 


Us$
I thought that Feb/March might see inflation or some pressure on the dollar. While this is not obviously apparent, the increases in interest rates are indicative of an underlying issue- who will buy the wonderful debt.  We continue to see the scenario gradually develop.
Dow
I called the Dow well for the quarter. While it is too early to confirm the bull has died we’ve definitely reached a top of some sort.
 
Nasdaq
 
 
I nailed the Nasdaq too. Despite the toppish nature of early 2018, some tech stocks go from strength to strength while others ( Facebook) have taken a battering. Overall the index, as predicted, remains more bullish than the Dow.

 
Mexico
The Mexico situation continues to be ( or at least continues to be reported as) less unsettled than I expected. Though the US did issue a warning re travel to one area. The release of an arrested cartel leader also bodes badly going forward.
The issue of negotiation of NAFTA remains key for the coming months and perhaps a drag on the economy. And there were reports that relations were frosty after a call between the leaders.
While things are not as bad as I predicted I still feel there is more to come. And Trump has increased military presence on the border in lieu of wall building.
 
Peso
While in early January the Peso showed some weakness it did not last as long as I expected. My prediction for March being better is closer- we wait to see whether the next few months confirm this.
 
Despite another short term element of volatility there is definite support for the currency now. Policies seem to be working.
 
 

Venezuela
I expected  January and February, to be a time  when the efforts to improve the trading and budgetary position are tried but little was achieved leading to increased conflict. This as the Bolivar prediction demonstrates was the case.
There are increasing problems with Venezuela’s migrants disrupting and being victims in  neighbouring countries such as Colombia
Since there is a leadership contest in May we await the    final outcome, though things are going much as I anticipated so far.
 
Bolivar
 

I said “The likelihood is that more changes to the currency may be necessary” and this month three zeros were knocked off the hyperinflation Bolivar. That is not to mention the cryptocurrency action that does nothing to improve stability.
 
 

Brazil
Brazil seems to be proceeding much as I expected. Not too bad ( slight GDP expansion after a time of contraction) but with continuing corruption investigations and accusations.  
 
 
Real
As expected the currency feel in the first two months
Although it has stabilised a bit, also as predicted, in March.
 
Argentina
The economy has grown more than expected in the last year but the country’s deficit grows. A mixed position as expected. And the disconnect between government and people I forecast has been reflected in a series of strikes and protests from truckers to bankers.
Arg Peso
I was wrong about the currency in January – it fell rather than rose- though by March it appears more in line with my expectations.
Still, disappointing.
 
Canada
I called Canada ok. The economy is tailing off – although after the last few years thi sis not necessarily a disaster. It depends whose opinion you read whether it is weak or solid.
I think it is pretty much on track for my forecast.
 
Australia
Just wow. Where did I get the idea that Australia politics would touch on women’s issues in 2018.
Yet it has, I quote from the NY times:
Australia’s boys-club political culture appeared in recent weeks to receive a healthy dose of #MeToo disruption.
First… the lord mayor of Melbourne, resigned after two members of the City Council accused him of groping them. Days later,… , the deputy prime minister, stepped down after he confessed to an affair with a staff member and was then accused by another woman of harassment.
But the economic position is not bad at all and so the government remains optimistic.
Things won’t really become clear till later in the year.
 
South Africa
From somewhere I gleaned the sense that January and February 2018 would continue the themes of late 2017. But with some slightly more positive news around as things are better for the leadership and moderately ok for the people.  And sure enough the continued pressure on the leadership led to Zuma being pressurised to transition power to Ramaphosa in a moderately civilized manner.
But I expected financial resource disruptions to continue and this is true with both direct financial issues and the impact of the drought figuring even though growth stats were better than expected. The picture by late March looks optimistic, but we are not out of woods.
 
 

China
There was little concrete in my forecast for the first few months of 2018 in China. Perhaps the most interesting and in a way accurate was the reference to surprising announcements- although I didn’t anticipate these would involve visits by North Korean leaders
 Renminbi
 
My forecast is a little out on timing – though within my margins given that these are long range forecasts- the strengthening I expected occurred in January and the levelling out in February early March. But overall the direction was correct.


 
Shanghai Composite
I forecast big swings in the first few months of the year and  this was correct. I also made reference to technology- this has certainly been proved right but where as I thought it would relate to internal technology matters it has much more to do with market technology questions globally.
 
Hong Kong $
I expected the pressure from 2017 to continue and this is so with the currency reaching its lowest level vs the dollar in 33 years. I expected speculation – it isn’t reported but I am probably correct on this too.
Hang Seng
My forecast was for the index to mess around a bit but end the quarter where it began and hey presto!. I rest my case!!
 
Japan
I was correct that recessionary /structural conditions continue despite policies And I correctly note that there may be issues relating to relationships with other nations as Japan feels it has been ;eft behind in the NK situation.
Corruption matters also confirm the demand for changes, even in relation to the government,
It is harder to assess whether I was right re steps in the right direction technology and development wise.
 
Yen
Although the currency appreciated in the first couple of months of 2018 ( against the $ at least) and there has so far been more volatility in March. However I didn’t think this would be the focus and I was right. The BOJ policy on debt issuance also changed in January, another area where I touched on the core issue.
 
 
Nikkei
I expected January and February to be mixed and end much where it started. However, although the pattern did follow that, there was  net drop by the end of February.
March looks like confirming the expected trends for the next few months- as mentioned in my other market commentaries, technology is the key but not in the way I expected.
 
 
Indonesia
My expectations for more of the same in Indonesia in the early months proved right including increased low key unrest (deriving from the mix of different groups). I expected with elections coming closer that this will continue.
 
Indonesian Rupiah
I correctly forecast some falls in the currency in January and February  and it looks like March is also confirming my prediction.
 
South korea
The winter Olympics meant that as I predicted, the government and people were as one in the period. However I qualified this with the belief that it did not change some of the
March to May sees the people in an expansive mood- but not necessarily a positive one. Financially the country is entering a new phase which might be unsettled.
 
North Korea
I rather recklessly forecast that  January and February 2018 would perhaps see less aggravated behaviour from the country and so it proved- although of course the underlying concerns remain.
As do the economic sanctions which make things challenging.
However I am not quite on the right page with March ( although in a three month period to May a lot can happen) I was right that it would be a period of change! But I thought that it could be the beginning of a phase where the leadership is perceived as without clear direction or  weak ( perhaps ill) or more deceptive than normal.  Obviously that is not the case – although one could argue that the current actions suggest a softening of position. Certainly there are the  big developments I anticipated ( to strengthen the economic position).
I said that it “ may possibly mean more maverick behaviour. It won’t be clear exactly what is happening. “ And, arguably, while on the surface accord looks to be the current  direction, no one  is really sure!  
 
 
India
Reading my forecast for the first few months of 2018 is not particularly enlightening. Probably affair summation but not significant enough  to be able to confirm it at least from the UK.
 
Rupee
 
My forecast makes no sense – on  the one hand I saw the  currency’s value being undermined but then I said that values would see a boost – although I did think this could be in tax revenues which makes more sense in the context.


In any case it is far too early to confirm whether this period is the long term turning point I predicted.
Sensex
 
I forecast a turning point in the long run trend in January and February and sure enough this seems to have happened.

I need to relook at this one soon.
 
 
Pakistan
I expected violence to escalate from the start of the year, but this has not been the case ( there are still events but less than 2016 or 2017).
However, interestingly economically there have been 2 devaluations this year. So there is drama of a sort.
In any case these 3 months were just setting the scene as I felt that it was all leading to a shift away from the main parties of the past come the elections. We will see.
 
Now on to the more interesting areas. I’ve put Russia and Turkey in the group with Saudi, Israel and Iran this time as to me there is an important interlinkage – and indeed there are meetings between Russia, turkey and Iran this week:
 

Russia
I was mostly right about what I said. The economic situation ( oil prices) have been better and the election was perhaps the non-event of the millennium with no change in the hold over power.
However I missed some of the global focus on the country – with the ongoing US farce and the UK poisoning leading to expulsions of Russian ambassadors across the developed world
Nevertheless I am curious. I said that there could be misinformation and obfuscation and I think that one should be very cautious about jumping to conclusions – the astrology was saying there was something else going on here and we need to keep that in mind before we believe everything we are told by any party.
p.s. So the Russian disputes have escalated with the Syrian scenario.  But once more we must exercise caution. I think we do not have the full picture and it may well be that we are all being serious misled. The question being “if Russia is isolated who benefits?”- the answer is of course in what they can veto and the extent they are likely to be acknowledged or ignored- at present the latter is most likely. So we need to focus on what  the likely consequences are of that.  Syria is a small fish in this regard but gives us an indication of exactly which  government is likely to benefit the most.
 
 
Rouble
I thought that January and February would be mixed. I saw long term underlying weakness with little upward trend in value although occasional boosts would be likely. A good description of the chart for the period.
The expected March to May volatility has not yet manifested. But the conditions definitely support nervousness in investors.
 
Turkey
I predicted 2018 to be a year of surprises relating to the economy, resources and women.
I was right that the leadership remains supported ( regardless of external views)
However I probably underestimated the economic position which seems better than expected – although with exports at a record high the trade deficit remains  a problem.
Turkish Lira
I expected that January and February would see some strengthening of the currency. I was wrong. However, there was a noticeable lull in its decline over exactly the right period so I am quite pleased even though I was not totally accurate.
I then said that March would see the return to decline and so it has proved. So I am overlal pretty pleased with this one.
 
Saudi Arabia
When I look back to 2018-12 and how lacking in events this country was ( I compared it to Switzerland) it is hard to believe now.
Obviously the year continued 2017 events as I expected- continuing issues with Yemen etc,  the ending of the imprisonment stage of corruption sweep, strengthening relationships with the US and even Israel and the changes for women ( slow but steady)
The predictions are pretty good so we will see how this all pans out longer term.
 
israel
 
I am not sure that January and February 2018 brought any of the predicted positive surprises regarding the Palestinian issue. But otherwise I was spot on .

I said “On the other hand there may be general dissatisfaction  and once more a tendency for the leadership to overstep its remit. …March to May could see protests and more. It is quite an unstable time for the people as a whole. Once again there may be a temptation to harness force to attack others” Unfortunately this has proved to be the case with the retaliation against the Palestinian protests and involvement in actions in Syria as well as continuing to beat drums against Iran. I was also right to see things backfiring as an Israeli jet was downed, though I believe that there may be consequences to come for the country as it tries to action its agendas.
I also saw some threat to stability of the leadership which turned out to be corruption issues. Fair play to the Israeli government they so seem to trying to be just like everywhere else!!!!
 
Iran
 
As expected January and February 2018 were really just a continuation of late 201& with protests that started in December continuing well into January.

I though that events could make the leadership less stable and that there was more evidence now of external relationships being involved than in 2017. As well as Trump’s rejection of the nuclear deal and consequent sanctions, Iran has been more in the news regarding the ME ( in relation to Saudi’s burgeoning relationship with Israel  and its support of Syria) all of which seem to put the country in a less secure position than last year.
The picture is however, only in the early stages of development. I expect things to unfold further as the year progresses.
 

Comments