A sense of completion: Review July - December 2020

 


Review : July to December 2020

Well, it isn’t the end of this blog of course but at last we come to the end of the road in my forecasting project. When I started this 2020 project in 2007 I knew that I would end at a critical time, I just didn’t appreciate then the nature of that time, it has been far more challenging globally and personally than I expected.

I also did not appreciate what a major commitment I was taking on.

I don’t regret it but I did learn that one of the factors in determining good forecasts using astrology is the extent to which the astrologer is committed and engaged in their work. The early years were a pleasure, I enjoyed the analysis and the writing and I think that showed. By 2016 when I was compiling the last 4 years, I just wanted to get it finished – a lot of the joie de vie had left my writing and I found myself less in the zone as I did the analysis. Good astrology still slipped through at times (!) but overall I am not so proud of those last set of forecasts. 

Nevertheless it was worth it. I feel that I have demonstrated the potential of astrology to foresee economic and political events, sometimes with quite extraordinary accuracy.  I hope that this will form a solid underpinning for the work that I plan to do going forward. I have already compiled my 2021-24 forecasts – though of course they are not part of the project and won’t appear here- and am all ready to begin setting up my website.

More soon about that, in the meantime let’s get back to those last reviews.

The second half of 2020 is a difficult period to do the usual review for countries and currencies ( though stock markets can be tracked as usual). The problem being that Covid dominated all news and separating Covid from other economic and political events is hard when they just weren’t reported globally.  This puts a limit on the upside to the marks I can reasonably give for my forecasts this time. It is not that they are incorrect, just that they are difficult to pin down due to the Covid focus. However I was pleased to see that there really was a correlation between the timing of the Covid peaks in different countries and difficulties highlighted in my forecasts – so the system continues to work even if it is harder to assess.

 

UK

I didn’t do great for Jun-Aug- although I identified disruptive influenecs I thought things looked good – they were better but definitely not good. Sept-Dec I focused on Brexit at the year end but given I wrote this in 2016 my timing was perfect. I did see the focus on the people in the last 2 months which relates to the Covid situation.

85%

Sterling

 

FTSE

I correctly forecast an unstable period from July-Sept with some falls. Also the variation in Oct-Nov when there was a significant shift in trend. And in Dec though I correctly noted that the main effect would be in January.

80%

Euro

I wasn’t really right about July – the currency was managing relatively ok as there were problems everywhere.  There was certainly a tough time Aug-Oct though anything other than inflationary at ground level ( monetary easing a different matter). November was indeed similar but more wait and see. And in December again the absolute picture was correct but in fact the Euro’s relative position was middling.

65%

Germany

Not much to say really – I correctly saw that the situation would continue for the rest of the year. Including key announcements such as the vaccine at the year end.

70%

France

I correctly saw Jul-Oct as being the same but more moderated. And also that December would see flaws revealed as cases rose and the difficult vaccine situation began.

70%

Italy

Once again I saw the situation moderated but with the same themes in July to Oct. However I had much greater change happening in November – government shifts did not really happen until January 2021.

60%

Spain

And again  I did not see real changes in July to November but I expected a complete change in December when there was none.

60%

Ireland

I noted that Ireland would not feel entirely in charge of its destiny in the latter half of 2020. And as well as Covid there was the situation relating to the UK/EU which created just such a situation. And I nailed the timing in December ( once again I was writing in 2016 so this was a bit of a coup)

85%

Greece

I though the summer would see disruptive influences but general positivity. And of course Covid hit the travel industry but Greece was relatively protected from actual cases. By November I saw pressure on the leadership but calmer – I am not sure this is particularly true ( though I am limited in what information I can find). December I said would be the start of new financial arrangements and sure enough the country sold bonds for the first time since the 2009 crisis.

80%

Switzerland

Once again close enough and for once I predicted something different for the country – protests in the Sept-Nov period. And indeed there were some related to Covid restrictions.

Even though I said little else that deserves marks for the normal quiet country -80%

Iceland

Not much of substance in my forecast – which sort of sums it all up really. Hard to mark but an absence of events is an event so

70%

US

I said

“July and August seem to continue the themes of the last few months and indeed may have more significant consequences for the broader population.” Covid spread wider across the nation

“September and October represent the beginning of a turning point of sorts. The difficulties are not exactly over but they will be stabilising “ The run up to the election and Covid

“an outburst of anger” – in fact this is probably more to do with the outbreak of Covid in the White House.

“November really does see the beginning of a change.” My election prediction dated December 2016!

“December sees the last of this difficult phase as a new approach to government and finance is in development….. 2021 really looks like the start of a new country, but one where there is a lot of work to be done.”    

Pretty much nailed it -95%

US$

Volatility did occur in July- Oct but not as much as I expected. November and December were better with some rise and there was a turning point at the year end. However there were no big reorganisations etc. ( aside from the change of government).

65%

  Dow

July the index was flattish as predicted. Aug-Oct saw fluctuations but in the end no direction, however I expected more activity and some hit to values. A rise in November to an all time high ( or as I forecast “completely new territory” was followed by a flat December though not as depressed as I suggested.

Moderate overall but extra points for November  85%

Nasdaq

My forecast for July-Nov  was for erratic swings and selling. We got the erratic but not the selling- there was certainly no rout at all.

December I correctly thought would be positive

65%

Mexico

Certainly true that the government has to contend with the ongoing ( Covid) situation in July-Sept but the people did too. Not sure there was a peak in October/November but it was true that things did not moderate in December

65%

Peso

I though that August and September would see the currency protected and it was more or less flat vs the dollar at least and benefitted from rate lowering ( the deliberate actions I mentioned).

I said October and November could be accompanied by changes to rates or even physical currency. There were no rate changes but two new notes were issued $100 and $1000. December was not particularly interesting however.

70%

Brazil

 

I forecast August and September a sense of gradual stability returning to the people day to day and to some extent that was true ( if you ignore the pandemic then you get day to day normality albeit at a cost) . But then I said “October and November see at least some signs of final economic resolution to some issues. It is not a bad time and relative to many places is quite calm”. But this really wasn’t the case – though I suppose to some extent the government was pretending it was!!! 

I also thought a lot of the pressure is off the country by the year end but although things were better it is hardly that positive.

40%  I always flunk Brazil

Real

Correctly forecast that volatility would continue, albeit more moderated between August and September. But there was less drama than I predicted in October and November, And although there was a turning point in  December there was no big shift in value.

60%

Venezuela

Difficult to establish real situation but I said October and November see the situation reaching a peak as in so many countries and this was true of all S America.

I thought December would be  rather different. I said “the new environment is characterised by restriction for the people and the start of a new economic position but that means hardship for those holding on to the status quo. There is some possibility  that everything has to end in unpleasant ways in order for the new environment  to flourish”. In fact Maduro was reelected despite the ongoing activity of Guaido including direct Covid funding etc.

50% - lack of clear picture makes it hard to mark this

Bolivar

I correctly saw August and September being much like the start of the year. But said that October and November could be the months when things finally get resolved and a new equilibrium is reached. This could hardly be said to be the case but I suppose it was getting there as more and more people stopped using the currency and switched to Crypto etc.. Still fell 95% in year but less than 2019.

I also said that December seems to be mainly a relatively positive month, with the year end seeing a final shift as the currency finds its balance. And while no big changes happened in December in early January 2021 allowed the use of foreign currency for daily activity.

60%

Argentina

As expected August and September continued the trajectory with no real new developments. I said October and November would be intense but also potentially positive months for the people despite ongoing issues of inertia.  Certainly Covid was at a high rate but started to level off.

I then said that while the 2020 trends don’t end in December they are drastically reduced and this leads to some shocks for the people and a moderately tricky period. The shock stook the place of new taxes to pay for the pandemic.

But I blew it saying the year end itself would be noticeably uneventful when compared with other nations.

70%

Arg Peso

I thought August to September   would be somewhat more moderated but this wasn’t especially the case – the currency decline was quite even over the whole year. I thought October and November would continue this so to some extent that was right. December was better but a stretch to say positive.

However overall 2020 was definitely NOT the currency’s year!!

30%

Japan

Japan didn’t do too badly covid wise from July to August which menat it was economically in a better position and the people are more amenable as forecast. September to November was not generally better though it was better than most countries

December was not as significant as I expected though the situation did change with Covid increases but more growth.

70%

Yen

As expected July to Sept saw little change. But October and November were not much different while the forecast expected bigger shifts. December to some extent was a new environment with a turning point.

70%

Nikkei

July to October were positive but not exceedingly so due to the pandemic and in line with the forecast. I thought November would be about fear and although Covid was ticking up there this barely caused a dip and overall the index rose. I also thought December would be pivotal and it was mostly flat.

55%

China

Correctly saw that things would be more moderated from july-Oct with no shocks. November did see changes that would take things to a head – the vaccine campaign and US election. December I summed up well – the country being never so powerful but with questions over directions.

85%

Renminbi

I correctly saw the currency doing better than others in the period June to November. And that December would be a flat wait and see month.

90%

Shanghai Comp

I was correct that July to October would see no let- up in the themes , with investors sentiment driven. But I had expected November to be characterised by one final push in terms of capital flows and market trends but the overall index movements weren’t significant then ( though internally they may have been).

 December as predicted saw the position strengthen

75%

HK$

I said that July to October sees a mix of actions to balance things, including rate changes, possible revaluations and re-defining of pegs etc. In fact the government intervened successively to maintain the peg.

I thought that December could be the moment a new environment starts operating but this was not so, however it was the time that the country started discussions about digital currency.

75%

Hang Seng

I expected July to September to be more mixed and some destabilisation and there certainly was volatility as well as focus on new companies. October and November I expected a boost, and this was so. December was also positive as I expected as concerns over China regulations were overcome.

80%

Indonesia

Covid cases rose during July to September and there were attempt to form an opposition coalition as the government seemed focussed on economy not Covid. This was in line with my exepectation that the government was trying to align its position. I thought October and November would bring thins to a head with protests and sure enough there were trade union strikes etc. Decemeber I though would see things in the same vein though there could be changes – and in fact there was a cabinet reshuffle in response to the challenges.

85%

Rupiah

July was the end of the volatility period expected. August and September were unstable and did not form a trend – I said that it would be difficult to stablish a stable value which more or less the same. The same for October and November but this time the currency did show some trend with the currency strengthening. I though that December would be a relatively quiet month lack real direction and the currency was flat.

80%

South Korea

I expected August and September to be a little more difficult and indeed cases started to rise. My comments re October and November were about the history of corruption etc and indeed the formation of the corruption investigation group fulfilled this. I thought that December in contrast to many places, would have achieved its goals by the year end and with only a contraction of 1% the country was close to the top of the developed league.

90%

North Korea

I thought August and September would be like January and February, but more moderated and the country announced a new missile. In October and November I thought that the focus of the immense power seems to be mainly on resource and economic matters with little to suggest conflict of any kind and this was the case ( Probably due to Covid etc but impossible to say). I thought that

December would be all about radical economic changes with a lot of adjustment and resource challenges result and although it is difficult to confirm this the actions of Q1 2021 seem to confirm those challenges.

70% ( cautious due to lack of info)

India

I said that in July to September there may be real challenges for the leadership now as the people are not supportive and this is a big opportunity for opposition and sure enough the opposition was stronger and there were protests. October and November were less problematic than I feared and the leadership was not  overturned. I thought that December would end with one final big bang and although there were more protests the economy was better and the country now the 5th largest.

70%

Rupee

As exepected July to September saw no change in the themes of the year. There is not enough information to confirm speculative activity, possibly attacking the currency though there were some falls. I was correct that October and November would be much the same

December, I was correct would be quieter.

75%

 

Sensex

July to September was not nearly as volatile a phase as I expected though it wasn’t suitable for long term large investment. October to November were expected to see some stabilising factors, which make this period more constructive and the market did rise.

December however was not the fog that I expected ( except for me) but a quieter time – perhaps hiding that fog in inertia?

50%

 

Pakistan

No monthly analysis for this one, just a general comment that the period continued to be difficult as expected with school bombings, burning temples, international questions about human rights ( I questioned the external relations at this time) and some rumblings of possible opposition to government.

65% - could be higher difficult to tell

Russia

I expected that June to September would belike January and February again not a good period. This seemed to be the case with constitutional reform making the country more of a dictatorship and the alleged poisoning of the opposition.

I forecast that in October to November, the situation would be very challenging for and by this time Covid cases were rising steeply. Then though I thought December would see the situation pared back considerably, but not eliminated and cases were flattening as the vaccine was introduced. I don’t think that thee was especially abrupt change at year end ( though once again I struggle to find out anything but Covid news)

70%

Rouble

I expected an upside to the currency in July to September but in fact it continued its trend weaker.

However I though that October and November would see the final stage of the position with oen more push and this was true. And December was indeed calmer with little gains or losses.

65%

 

Turkey

I was sort of in the right ballpark for July to September. The whole year really has been critical with creeping government changes, The period was better Covid wise as was  October and November. But as mentioned the government was pushing forward its policies despite this being of worry to the people. Economically there was some recovery.

And for December I said “While the core issues that have dominated the year remain, there is a change of mood by the end of December. The people are feeling out of kilter with the direction of travel” the picture continued but with Covid cases rising and this having an impact.

65% mood right but difficult to pin down actual dates.

  

Lira

As forecast August and September were more like January and February with declines in the currency value. I thought that November could be a period of some noticeable positive surprises with the currency staging a come back. This was true in November as the economic news turned the trend. By December I didn’t expect any major increases but some sense of relief that the worst may be over and the currency had established a more positive trend against the dollar at least.

80%

 

Saudi

I predicted August and September to be a major turning point and Covid peaked at this time and the oil price turned a corner too. I thought that October and November would be similar months but more determined and this seems to have reflected the mood. I expected December to herald a new constitution or agreement which didn’t happen though the whole year involved many peace accords with other arab states and Israel the one with Saudi did not materialise.

60%

 

Israel

I thought that July to September could be just the usual level of challenging with difficulty to find accord between the groups including the Palestinians. There were certainly protests and issues re Covid cases in Gaza etc. I thought that October and November might see things coming to a head in this country with disruption between various parties. It is difficult to assess. There were difficulties with Palestinians but  also resentment from Orthodox jews re restrictions. On the other hand there were the various accords with other nations.

But I also said “although the issues remain in the background ( and are likely to be reactivated to some extent in Spring 2021) by the year end things will have moderated somewhat. This was very prescient. I also said “there may be a new foundation or government formed around now” and while that wasn’t the case the Knesset dissolved due to budget disagreements.

75%

Iran

I expected surprises to continue into August and September, as events, local or global,  picked up pace. In fact this was a tiem when there were a series of explosions at key industrial sites attributed to Israel.

By October and November, I said things coming to a head globally and here is no exception as Cobid cases there rose again though as I expected not as much as in some other countries. I thought December itself could seem like a month on the edge, as the environment changes and this, though somewhat vague did sum up the situation.

70%

Canada

As expected July August and September were relatively quiet months with fewer Covid cases.

October and November saw cases rising again leading as predicted to more of a focus on the government again with some disconnect between the people and the leadership although brief. The government survived a confidence vote.

December was forecast to see Canada is relatively sheltered and to some extent this was so.

80% particularly due to the govt situation.

 

Australia

I forecast that August and September would see the people still able to feel optimistic and with lower cases than many developed nations this was true. October and November I said would still be ok for the people, though the leadership once more needs to be nimble at adapting to sudden shifts or change will be forced on it externally. Again a fair assessment.  

December sees the tricky conditions that characterised the year continuing and there were some outbreaks e.g, leading to closure of Sydney beaches though much of the nation was carrying on as usual. I also said “by far the most interesting part of this picture, though, is what isn’t happening. The end of the year looks totally calm”.

80%

South Africa

I said “August and September see a return to the mood early in the year. It is a time when inflation may be very high” – in reality it was Covid that was high- though inflation was moderately so then.

I thought that October and November would see huge momentum for change, and a mixed financial outlook with both positive changes but also continued inflationary ones.  And less good for the people as  a whole though. If anything it was a quieter period Covid wise and economically better than earlier in the year with the manufacturing index at a 2 ½ year high.

But I said December would be more moderate though  still continuing the same theme when cases actually rose. However I did note that there could be new announcements at the year end and this was the time of the identification of the local new variant.

75% mixed successes

 

 

 

Comments