2014- A quick summary



 
Over the last few weeks I’ve been completing my currency forecasts for a few of the emerging market currencies that I skipped in my work last year. As it turned out this was a topical subject. And in those currencies I had originally considered, (Rupee, Rupiah, Real), there was a great deal  more activity for a week or two than I had forecast.

So does this mean that my forecasts were wrong? I would say, unequivocally, no!

In my defence, I always remind my readers that I am submitting rolling 3 month forecasts that merely highlight broader trends and very significant events, they doesn’t throw up all the daily and weekly animal spirits of the markets. For that sort of detail, I am afraid, dear readers, you must pay.

And, having gone back to the detailed source material, I can confirm that every single one of the emerging market currencies was affected by just one factor in late January early February.

And it isn’t over yet either. Furthermore, there are enough factors combining in 2014 to suggest that we haven’t seen anything yet!

Many of the charts, and particularly the currency charts are highlighting the period around April. Obviously some of the factors that will be important then have already been activated in January, and the stories will continue to unfold over the next two months. But there will be renewed vigour to them by April.

Yet, before you all rush off and sell the same old, same old, currencies again, I feel a few remarks are in order. 

What I have found as I ploughed my way through each currency forecast, and especially analysing the last three ( Rand, Rouble and Lira) in quick succession, is that lumping all these countries together is a big mistake. Yes, it allows bored senior investment bankers to come up with neat acronyms and, yes, it is pretty much the simplistic approach you might expect from a load of junior traders who have probably not been further than Ibiza or Atlantic City, but it fails completely to acknowledge that all these countries are  vastly different.

In layman’s terms, in order to successfully forecast one must have a thorough understanding of the history and the culture of a country.  Yes, current politics is useful, and so are a grasp of recent events and economics, but nothing beats that deep historical and cultural context.  And I’d even go as far as to say that you can’t really understand a country until you’ve considered its geography ( climate, geology and location); without those there would be no history and culture.

But I digress. What I was trying to say is that each country and currency is different and when making investment decisions should be treated as such.

My analysis has revealed striking differences in the conditions of, and prognoses for, each country and thus each currency

And it looks like the broader investment community might be beginning to be a bit more discriminating, as the currency valuation pathways for March to May look as if they will vary considerably between countries.  

Furthermore, I caution against assuming that what happens over these few months is establishing a trend for the latter part of 2014 and 2015. Some countries are going to settle down, but others are going to be more problematic.

I suggest a review of my individual forecasts for the details.

Dates to watch, the whole period into May is tricky, though the emphasis will shift from region to region as the weeks progress. Particularly key   dates are :

the first few days of March

18th-34 March

31 March

14-15th April

21st- 23rd April

27th April

 

And the order of concern for currencies in the coming 4 months

Bolivar
Rand
Argentinean Peso
Turkish Lira
Rupiah
Rupee

Dollar (i)
Euro    (i)
Sterling (i)
Yen
Renminbi (ii)

Rouble
Mexican  Peso
Real

 (i) not so much difference in effect in 2014 but the dollar problems in Feb and March will probably precede the Euro ones in April and Sterling will get caught briefly by the latter)
(ii) The nature of the Renminbi issues is quite different from that of the other main currencies and may actually represent significant appreciation.

Politically there are a host of elections in 2014, but they are mostly later after the currency issues calm down, so the likely outcomes of these are:

South Africa – Change of leadership
India – Change

Indonesia – probably no change
Turkey – hard to call – could be deception surrounding the vote. Possibly no change

Brazil – quite a lot of challenge in run up but probably no change in the end.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments