A busy time:Mars attacks, Saturn's on vacation

I’ve been quietly looking at the next six months forecasts lately but I wasn’t really intending to update what I had already said here. Instead my plans were to present something more in the way of commentary rather than forecasting, in the anticipation that there would be a few things worth commenting on….I have, as usual, been distracted by life. Now, however, we’ll take a peak.


Some of the areas I was investigating were the June/July eclipses and their impact on various charts and the reactivation of the 2010 cardinal cross by both the new Moon in July and subsequently, in early August by Mars.

As it turns out there are a number of other interesting things to note too.

First let’s consider Saturn. Last year in July August it was very tightly involved with the cardinal cross. Many astrologers, myself included in this case, determined that nasty old Saturn would increase the impact of the cross and thus August 2010 would be a particularly unpleasant phase.

However, whilst there was no let up in the ongoing trends last summer, things just weren’t as bad as expected. I think this is because we failed to take account of two factors relating to Saturn.

The first is that Saturn in Libra is dignified, in what is called ‘exaltation’ – essentially showing its best side. So instead of the darker, more depressing side of Saturn, we get rather more of its balancing, refined discipline.

The second, and in my view the more important factor, is my increased feeling that a grand cross involving Saturn doesn’t necessarily cause all hell to break loose. Indeed it is more inclined to prevent such a scenario. I have such a combination in my own chart ( Saturn there being also dignified) and it does act in this way, leading to my life being, frankly, rather dull and uneventful instead of allowing my more reckless and unstable tendencies to rule.

Now, before you all get excited and think this is an unequivocally good thing, (I mean in global terms not my personal actions), I would like to take the role of Saturn and bring you back down to earth. What Saturn in a grand cross tends to do is create a holding pattern; keeping things together and neither allowing break out of the characteristics of the other 3 sides of the cross nor resolving their latent issues.

So together we had a nice Saturn in a constraining role and these two factors, I believe, kept a lid on some things last August.

Saturn is still in Libra and will be until 2012 ( yeah I know we are all waiting to see what, if anything happens in 2012), however it has moved on a number of degrees and is now only very weakly constraining the other planets in the cross. So when the square between Pluto and Uranus gets activated by the inner planets now, the pot boils over.

It’s a useful lesson – though we’ll have to wait hundreds of years for a repeat of this configuration to capitalise fully on what we have learnt, I’m afraid.

Comments