Review January to May 2020

 

China
Of course China is the birthplace of the main 2020 event. I did say it would be a year of more drama with shocks to come with longer consequences. You can say that again.
My forecast for January was odd – saying that huge support for the Chinese leadership was combined with belligerence. Of course in retrospect we see the combination of military lockdowns and international opinion at this time as the seriousness of the virus became clear- contrast the resentment that the information had been suppressed with the admiration for the quick hospital building etc.
I then said that the next 3 months would be more mixed with  continuing economic issues  as well as some aggressive action (economic warfare rather than anything more). It is a pretty reasonable forecast as we have the continued restrictions in country as well as the US/China trade issues.
I thought that  May and June are merely a continuation but with less drama which appears about right.
85%
 
Renminbi
2020 is another year of active trade and exchange.
January did see the expected  continued swings and I correctly noted that there are big forces at play but they are not pushing the currency in any one direction now –i.e despite events the currency was not significantly affected.
I thought February would see more of the same (volatility and adjustment but little trend), and it did.
I also thought that March to May would see  more adjustment, especially of interest rates and other policy measures to contain the uncertainty and this was the case as the currency fell somewhat ( it does not move very much normally so small trend movements are noteworthy)
80%
 
Shanghai Composite
I said that 2020 would be a very serious year when the country and the market is quite controlled.
I forecast January would see a key turning point and this happened  in the last week.  February did indeed see more of  the same as the market fluctuated without clear direction.
. I then said that  March through to June would see big movements of capital which affect the market and different components in different ways. However I predicted major increases in value overall when in fact March saw a big fall. The remaining part of the period has seen gains however.
70% - mostly good but offset by the wrong direction
 
HK$
I didn’t have much to say here – obviously January and February 2020 did see a greater intensity in global pressures on value.
I also thought March to June would see this escalate further. There was some minor strengthening But now events re China are creating the restrictions I expected.
70% - not a particularly bad forecast just not very extensive
 
Hang Seng
Although the market did dip a little in late January overall the expectation that the 2 early months of  2020 would  see confusion and  may a tricky period for investors, the general trend would be for relative stability and continued support for the index and this overall was so.
However I said March to  June would be more mixed, but again there is support and the index fell but then held its value in April and May.
I made the interesting comment that running the index is more problematic than holding it now. With coronavirus followed by China’s interference it does seem as if running anything in Hk has been difficult these last few months.
more or less back where it started but I should have seen the major move mid  March. 
65%
 
Japan
January was just expected to be a continuation of 2019 which was right.
I thought that February would be somewhat better, despite the ongoing issues, but in fact the economy was on the brink of recession and the leadership approval at a low.  But I also thought though that things would be very unsettled at this time. Obviously the virus created an unsettling situation
I thought that March would see a major breakthrough, and the government having to make some concessions and the country very much in the global eye. At this point the country looked vulnerable to a major outbreak and was subject to criticism but introduced restrictions which were generally adopted. The Olympics in the end had to be cancelled.
I expected  April to June to be a period of reassessment and adjustment generally and it does seem that way as cases fall and the country opens up again somewhat.
80%
 
 
 
 
Yen
Once again I predicted 2020 as a year of big currency movements.  With January 2020 seeing  some upside for Yen investors. In fact there was no a great change overall either way – though it marginally strengthened over the month.
I thought that February  would be more difficult,  with debt restructuring and interest rate changes and major action by the central bank. The currency fell, then recovered at the end of the month. There were no interest rate changes though there was the first emergency package because of the virus.
I thought that March to June would see this escalate –and  the Yen strengthened rapidly in early March but fell back by the month end before settling down slowly over April and May. Further fiscal actions were taken.
70%
 
Nikkei
I said that January and February would see more volatility, and although I thought that this may well be accompanied by big rises,  the clearest thing is the change of direction in prices now and sure enough the market which had been steadily rising for a few months suddenly fell in February.
I thought that March to June would be a mixed period and that some weakness is possible, but  far less volatility and more trend now. Having reached a bottom Mid March the index started to rise again and volatility started to decrease as it did so.
85%
 
South Korea
I forecast that January and February 2020 would be interesting with difficulties for the government. I incorrectly attributed this to global financial issues  rather than a global virus though. Korea was one of the first countries affected. But I did predict that the people would be are broadly supportive of policies and this was most definitely the case.
 It is interesting that I then said March through to July is even more positive and  can overcome any issues. It has been a leader in beating the virus – despite periodic new outbreaks
90%
 
 
 
North Korea
I expected  continued aggressive or military action in Janaury and February – and a new hardline military leader was appointed  and continued resistance to renewing talks confirmed this.
 I thought however that the leadership benefits from propaganda and be enabled by events. No doubt the internal claims that the country is not affected by the virus have enhanced the leader’s image.
I did not forecast the apparent disappearance of KJU – but since it seems to have been a non-event in retrospect that is not so surprising.
I did say that May to July would be a period where the leader seemed  to benefit from huge power but not without cost to external relationships and this could be nuclear related –and this appears to be exactly what is happening at the moment with KJU taking of nuclear deterrant.
80%
 
Australia
After the fires of 2019 I thought January and February would see a shift in focus for the people but with positive expectation mixed with tricky issues for the country . The fires were under control by the end of January, though there were floods to contend with instead.
However I thought that it would be an excellent time for the leadership though, particularly the early part of the period and in reality the reverse was true as the Prime Minister’s approval plummeted then
I thought that March to June would continue the tricky themes making adjustments due to large forces outside its control!! Couldn’t have described it better.
And I also said that later it appears to be a time when the country is generally seen in a positive light and this has been true as Australia have managed the Covid crisis much better than many countries
 
75% - would have been more if it wasn’t for that approval rating
 
Iran
Iran was the next virus hotspot.
I thought that January and February would be  intense with more “assertive” language and a challenging time. The year began with the country accidentally shooting down a jet and engaged in conflict ( words anD missiles) with the US. And then the coronavirus arrived in Iran for February.
I thought that resources might improve during this period, but sanctions and economic restrictions continued – although the stock market soared.
I thought that March to July when focus was on the people and their desire for freedom. This is in retrospect too generic – although no doubt they are thinking of less restrictions due to the virus it tells us nothing about the wider country situation.
65% started well then lost its way
 
Italy
Swiftly on the heels of Iran the virus settled in in Italy
It must be said that once again I nailed it with the most innocuous comment “2020 is a key year for the country – of course it seems to be a key year for many countries, but in Italy the theme relates to the way the country  has been and is run much more than elsewhere.” The focus was very much on Italy and its administration through the March health crisis.
I expected that  January and February would see  big changes at leadership level but they aren’t created by out and out conflict of any kind. This was only half right – the government were struggling to maintain a majority because of issues relating to their election promises for change.
But then I said that March and April see the themes continuing with more optimism. Which clearly wasn’t the case – there was little time to do anything other than deal with the crisis.
However I did identify financial obstacles. I also said there may also be some seismic ( literally) events that need attending to. Not literally but certainly metaphorically confirming my more general assessment of the year.
65% - I am disappointed. I think I was nearly there but just didn’t nail it
 
France
January 2020 was relatively quiet in France.
I then said February and March are more challenging. “There is a situation with other country(ies) which is at odds with the direction France is moving leading to a bit of a stalemate”. Of course once more I did not see a virus but the fact that I mentioned other countries and the fact that I mentioned stalemate ( which is pretty damn close in nature to lockdown) I can be proud of. But it does underscore how hard it is to read something when there is an unknown unknown.
Yes again to April to June seeing the international situation escalate somewhat. However the mention of lack of diplomatic solutions was a red herring, we will have to see what opening up the country does for the rest.
80%
Spain
January was not so important as expected for Spain .
I did say that February and March would be a  period when the leadership will face some obstacles, (although it is not one where there is likely to be a change of leader). Though I can’t claim to have foreseen the lockdown here.
My comments for the later period are rather about the longer term, and are not yet measurable
70% - not enough detail again
 
Germany
Of course2019’s leadership issues were key to the start of the year. But I said by February though the focus shifts back to financial matters – although this is not entirely true the focus of criticism did reduce.
I then said that March to July is a long period when there are real global political issues relating to protectionism and nationalism and which seem to involve the country setting the pace. Of course I did not identify the underlying virus issue but the rest is spot on.
85%
 
Euro
Although I thought that  January would have its challenges I thought Euro  leadership would be positive – there was certainly some positive news , but I thought there may be more attempts to manage rates  which did not happen. 
I think it enough to say that I said that February would be a confusing months for traders – just look at the $/Euro chart for February and early March.
I thought March to June would be noteworthy  with global debt issues prominent and although there were  threats to the value,  there were some supporting factors that suggest that there are grounds for optimism. The large fluctuations of the earlier period have reduced and the value is on average holding despite everything.
80%
 
Switzerland
Not too much to say about the early part of the year in Switzerland.
I was not however right that March to June could risk that the people will vote through some radical changes now, not all of which are in the longer term best interests as the referenda for May have been cancelled. And it is possible that the initiatives from now will indeed have consequence albeit not voted on by the people.
 I did also mention that the government would find itself vulnerable and unable to lead properly – the unintended consequence of the virus actions.
Still one of the weaker forecasts
50%
 
Ireland
January was quiet in the run up to the February elections.
I thought that despite developments and exciting news in February, the overall conditions would be  similar to January. The result of the election was a 3 way race and although the previous government had acknowledged defeat, they remained as caretakers.
I correctly said that March to July would be the first part of an almost year  long change. I thought there would be a sense of inertia within government and changes would be fast and furious but  outside their control. Nicely, though completely serendipitously,  summing up the combination of coalition forming and coronavirus events.
85%
 
UK
The Uk though is an exception.
 I started my forecast saying that I expected 2020 to be a year with a change at the head of the Royal family. This so far has not proved to be the case exactly but one can’t ignore the impact of Harry and Meghan’s decision on the family as a whole.
I also noted that  though it should have been an election year, it was quite possible we will have had an election earlier in the period- which was a bit of an understatement really.
I thought that January would start with difficulties, not just in the UK but globally. Another understatement.  I noted that there was a lot of f trade relating to the UK, possibly due to property market difficulties but of course it was ( finally) Brexit.
However I thought that February through to April  would be mixed. With the focus less on nationalistic matters and more on royal ones. Initially this was true but obviously by mid March the questions were over the virus.
Now comes a comment that is fascinating. I said “There is also another period of deception and misinformation, although this is likely to be the best thing for the nation as a whole”  and “Expect rapidly changing conditions”. It made no sense when I wrote it but it does now
Nevertheless I got May partly wrong as I assumed the Euro cup would go ahead, although of course the mood has changed and become less serious as the month progresses.
80% - some good calls but some weak assumptions
Sterling
Sterling did indeed start 2020 as 2019 ( post election) ended with gradual falls and of course there were policy ( Brexit related) changes afoot.
I noted that February and March would see more of the same trends, but more  focus on debt matters which by late March it certainly was. Though Debt has been easy to raise so far at least – there was a time in March when the currency took a real dive vs the dollar at least.
Then I said that April to June , saw more debt being focus of the people with policies to manage the currency and restrictions. The policies were more about funding the economy but basically this was correct too
85%
 
FTSE
I expected the beginning of the year to be  an overall positive, if not entirely rational, direction and until mid February.
However I said February and March would be  as much about the trading itself than the value of the stocks. But of course what I saw as technology proved to be something quite different and the value was severely hit.
But I then said April to June still looks positive. I  said that I was finding it hard to believe that people will still be buying stocks so consistently at this point but it looks like they will. While the market has not recovered they really still are buying and it has gone up 20%
85%
 
Greece
I really didn’t read this one right at all saying there was unlikely to be a worse time to be the leaders in Greece than in early 2020. In fact things were looking better than in a decade.
But I was right that in March there would be a completely new environment to contend with.
I was sort of right re April and May. The situation is mixed and of course coronavirus has created a distinctly difficult situation for the country/people, although not as bad as in many places and there is indeed  hope of economic improvement as the country comes out of lockdown.
But I also said there is  once again an attempt to unseat the government/leader which doesn’t seem to be the case at all.
40%
 
Iceland
I thought that January and February of 2020 are months when the people are likely to raise most objections and there were  strike  votes planned  
I thought that Iceland would be only indirectly affected by events now and there may  even be a boost for the government. There were no cases until end of February but the risk was good for the government.
Obviously I was correct in saying that March to June would be a period when people aren’t quite sure what is going to happen but that the country could  harness now to make progress and it has certainly contained the virus by now.
70 – ok but a bit lacking in depth
.
Indonesia
Moving back to Asia now
My focus for Indonesia in January and February 2020 was ( correctly as it seems) more local . I expected opposition resistance to government policy which was definitely true.  I also expected some tricky de-stabling matters – there is nothing that appears obvious other than of course the initial response to the virus threat.
I thought that March to July is similar, with bigger financial obstacles and  the situation would  make the leadership vulnerable to being overturned, or at least needing an internal shake up. This is more or less true, the virus has created a need for more debt and the government’s weak response has been criticised. Although local elections have been postponed it is expected that the results would not be supportive.
65% - although I was right on some specifics I don’t think I really grasped the overall situation
 
Rupiah
I thought that  the currency in January and February 2020 would  not be strongly impacted by events which was indeed true – there been very little movement in the period. I was also right to expect an interest rate change ( which happened in February)
However I thought March onwards would be much the same . There was certainly another interest rate change and also the expected volatility and overall it does look like the currency will end up
75% - good forecast just not enough of it
 
India
I saw January  as the beginning of turning point, with possible impetus  outside the country. The new budget was presented just at the beginning of the next month so it will certainly be a turning point and of course external events were about to change things too.
I expected February and March to be dramatic, with  unexpected instability and of course the virus crisis led to a lockdown of the 1.3b people in March and huge movement of migrant workers. There was no need for any actual earthquakes
I was floundering  bit when I came to the April to June prediction . I could see it would be very difficult for the people but without the understanding of the Virus,  I could not pin down the events, . Given this it was a  great attempt I also predicted  financial upheaval which of course has been a consequence.
80%
Rupee
I correctly thought that January and February would be more mixed but with a turning point in the value of the currency – this actually happened  right at the end of February.
There were no interest rate changes in these 2 months though.
I thought that March and April would be again mixed with stabilising influences  offset by questions over fundamental value. However I underestimated the significant fall in value in  early March ( arguably though this was part of the February event) although I was right about volatility.
I was right that May would see this continuing and that there would be changes in rates and other actions by the bank.
65%
 
Sensex
I completely blew the January and February forecast for this, saying that it would not be flat and uneventful months. But it was.
At least I correctly forecast a big shock for investors in March to May- saying it could be a one off or more likely the start of a shake up phase that lasts into 2021. 
 
50%
Pakistan
January and February 2020 were expected to  see the  focus on the outside world . Otherwise things continued much as 2019 still. And I nailed it when saying there was a sense that things are not entirely controllable.
I expected the problems to continue March onwards with external relations more polarised. I forecast the people and  government would be over-whelmed. The coronavirus has indeed made other matters worse, and Pakistan has had to ask for more aid, added to which they then had a plane crash and there were also the suggested floods as well.  Definitely overwhelmed and difficult..
85%
 
USA
Now let’s go to where the action is as I write.
When I wrote “2020 is characterised by a very unstable image for the country and by continued financial difficulties. But the focus has moved away from the leadership itself” I didn’t understand it – how could Trump not be always the focus, but of course although he is still tweeting for all he’s worth, the population are more worried about the virus and now the protests than him.
I also said the US may some protection these January and February  it is not likely to escape difficult debate …… or a sense of helplessness.  It is certain that the status quo will be disrupted. Virus virus virus- easy in retrospect.
I then said March and April are harder still. The country seems to be running headlong into fundamental conflict at this time.  Of course I did not expect the enemy for these two months to be invisible. I also thought debt would be important- we now have much more of it and by the end of the period more short term financial restrictions are the result.
In May I predicted “a sense of instability although opportunity to change for the better”. Which is just WOW.  I thought  the people should take care over these few months…..
 
95% one of my best in ages
 
US dollar
I started with “ the world faces a broader crisis in 2020”.
I said that January does look to be a better month for the dollar, perhaps shocks elsewhere make it more attractive. There is lots of currency trade. But perhaps it wasn’t so attractive though it certainly held its strength.
I thought that February and March would bring challenges and new developments  and actions to reduce monetary expansion may start in earnest despite misgivings.  This was both right and wrong – the actions were the reverse – flooding the system with funding.
I correctly deduced that April and May would be more of the same,.
I also mentioned trading swings – though not the exact timing which was late March.
70%
 
Dow
Again I noted that 2020 is generally a difficult year and expecting  component changes and trading glitches but still some positives.
I said that investors would be asking “Where the **** do we go from here, at the beginning of the year and the index was flat for most of the first two months,  though I expected problems earlier than there were it was late Feb by the time they kicked in.
I thought that March through to [MAY] would see  constant work to ensure that the index does not become unmanageable with  mainly just lack of direction.
Not bad 75%
 
Nasdaq
Now this contrasts with my Dow forecast. I said “there is still an underlying theme that suggests growth in 2020, however it is also a time when there are huge global pressures”.
I correctly said that January seemed to be a month of heavy trade and investor confidence despite a challenging background
February and March I thought would see more trade, though I expected  glitches rather than viruses ( wrong sort of virus!)  and I thought that  uncertainty would increase and there would be huge external pressure! Although the signs are not all bad, I thought that it would result in some significant selling!! Nailed it!!!
Even better I said April is a key turning point in sentiment. And “ Any movements in value will be huge and trade will continue to be high volume and erratic”
Biggest market moves of a decade and I called them. Also note the difference between the Dow forecast and Nasdaq- not easy to get that right- so many people talk about the market/markets as if they always move in tandem not just usually!
95%
 
Canada
I thought that Canada seems mostly to be one step away from all the major action. I said that there would be some pressure on the people but if anything this just makes the stability more noticeable.
I thought that nothing in January and February looked unmanageable.
I then said that March to July would see a permanent long term change in the country’s economic prospects which of course correlates with initiatives to help overcome the Covid crisis.
Overall Canada has not been the best at dealing with the crisis but its has been far from one of the worst
80%
 
Mexico
I thought that January and February 2020 would be a critical time for the country and a combination of recession and record violence made the period very difficult. However I thought that the impact would be from outside and not affect the people whereas it quite clearly did, although of course it cannot be denied that external events were about to take over.
I thought that March onwards would see changes from outside trickle down, with major international funds flows highlighted and  the people more restless, with a shift in focus to the international arena for them which is quite frankly difficult to argue with !!
65%
 
Mexican Peso
I said that 2020 would be another kettle of fish altogether. I thought there were  some positive indicators ( the currency strengthened slight at first)but that there were also shocks with possibility of significant weakness. The currency fell in late Feb to mid March significantly.
I thought that March onwards would  see the themes continuing with a mixed picture which sums up April and May fluctuations very well.
80% - could be more but not enough detail
 
 
 
 
 
Brazil
I expected January and February to be moderately good for the government. But I am not convinced that was the case, there certainly seems to have been opposition to some of his policies.
I saw March onwards as being focused on the people in general with pressure on the leadership, which we can’t argue with. I also thought that there would be people who are not prepared to accept the  situation  and prepared to stick their heads above the parapet and say so quite vehemently  and sure enough two health ministers resigned in disgust at Bolsanaro’s attitude.
However I thought that there were clear signs of progress being made and I don’t think we can conclude that. Brazil forecast fails again.
50%
 
Real
Once again I forecast that  the whole of 2020 would be rather volatile. But that January and February  are not particularly so, however, especially when compared with elsewhere. I thought that it would be a good time for the currency though not especially noteworthy. It wasn’t great – the currency did fall but not significantly.
I then forecast that March to July would see  volatility reach a peak. I said it was s difficult to detect a discernible trend at this time as there is so much happening.  But that there might be a one off devaluation is proposed. Obviously there was no devaluation but there was an equivalent fall – whereas many other currencies fell in March only to recover partly – the Real has continued to plummet as the government messes up the health crisis.
75%
 
Argentina
I said that while in January and February 2020 Argentina did not seem to be at the eye of the [international] storm, it would see the financial conditions that characterised 2019 continue with  detailed adjustments and the result may be hardship and possibly pushback from the people. Obviously what happened was that country did not yet have a Covid problem but the financial situation from 2019 did continue and the country came to the brink of default.
I definitely made an error in saying that in March to June would see less restriction, but was probably correct that  the people were aligned with the government over the virus
So far though there is little positive economic news but we aren’t at the end of the period yet.
65%
 
Argentine Peso
I predicted that January and February would see currency focus  elsewhere. However I expected big movements in the  currency but there were none – though of course there were big movements in the governments financial plans these were not reflected in the exchange rate. Perhaps after such big falls in the previous years the situation locally was stabilising.
I then thought that the position would be accentuated in March onwards, and although it was  generally a difficult time,  I saw it as been a generally highly positive for the currency. This is of course both very wrong  vs the dollar as the currency has continued to fall but also interesting because compared to other emerging currencies ( e.g. the Brazilian Real and Mexican Peso)  it has been a much more stable option.
45% used to do much better on my Argentine forecasts
 
Venezuela
I predicted that 2020 would be the beginning of 12 months of huge change in the. I though that January and February would see the beginning of this.
I thought that March onwards would be less intense than the first two months and again now without some disturbing upheaval and that financial flows would be better.
But April 17th “Venezuela suffers its worst crisis since Maduro took office. The U.S. has a price on Maduro’s head, a fleet of warships patrols the waters around the country, the coronavirus pandemic rages, gasoline shortages threaten food supplies, and a lack of liquidity makes it nearly impossible to resolve the crisis. Venezuela is caught in the middle of an international power play by the United States, Russia, and China ( wikipedia) and in early May there was an alleged incursion to overthow the government”.
The added complication of coronavirus and the low oil price has added to the problems.
The details I forecast were therefore not realised though the overall picture I drew was much closer to reality.
60%
 
Bolivar
Once again I said it is all happening in 2020!
I thought that January and February 2020 would see a great swing in the position, the last stage of a 12 year cycle. Whereas actually the currency was relatively stable vs the last few years.  I suppose in a way that does tally with the forecast.
However I then said  March onwards continued the theme with the possibility of huge swings in value  though I was not clear which direction this would take. The currency has fallen again due to the oil situation which has reversed the benefits of late 2019 early 2020.
40%
 
Saudi Arabia
Moving back to the Middle east and some of the countries that are on a lter virus trajectory
I thought that January and February would see big pressure on the leadership and challenges to the country’s foundations. That was an interesting forecast as Saudi was forced to close its shrines in late February. I thought that despite any strong arming the people would see positives and for the most part as elsewhere people are accepting of restrictions. Of course the actions of Saudi also contributed to the oil price falls.
I thought that March to June would see the people in the mood to protest but that has not been the case – although economic difficulties are enough to create it. I also said that much could be achieved if the energies are harnessed in the best way and recently there have been efforts to improve human rights.
70%
 
Israel
I expected the  country  in the limelight this year. I thought that January and February would still see pressures on the leadership and a continued sense of deception or confusion for the people .  And sure enough the investigations into Netenyahu continued
I also thought that things would be shaken up – and there were decisive actions re the settlements
I expected the situations to  escalate  in March to July. On the one hand I forsaw large power issues- confirmed by the elections and by the early lockdown decision taken- all of which did benefit Netanyahu who is once more leading the government.
85%
 
Russia
I thought that January and February 2020 would be  the start of a year which is full of excitement and drama in the country.
I thought that the leadership would feel under threat and challenged – but the actuality was slightly different as the government all resigned in mid January in response to Putin’s plans to change future successors powers. It was certainly rather dramatic!
I thought that March to June would see  better support for the leadership but responses might  get totally out of hand.  This is consistent with the arrival of coronavirus in the country and the associated measures.
I also mentioned that there was likely to be further radical changes in prices ( oil being the main factor) and  there may also be some feeling of helplessness as recessionary conditions may bite in some areas all of which is true
80%
 
Rouble
Although I was right that 2020 would be a key year for the currency, I really didn’t get the direction at all.
I was uncertain about January and February  selecting gains as more likely – actually the currency briefly strengthened insignificantly before falling back below its December level
In March to June I correctly forecast big international debt and banking movements but I said this would favour the Rouble which in reality fell significantly in March and has not yet recovered,
25% ugh
 
Turkey
I thought January and February would be  a very intense time when a lot can happen;though I thought this likely to relate mainly to economic matters . The economy was important as at that point ( before the virus) there were signs that the recession was over.  I also said the other possibilities can’t be ignored and issues relating to fighting re Syria were in focus at this time.
I then predicted that March to June would see a change of pace and an uncertain time and one where the leadership may once more feel the challenge of being pushed to the brink. This fully correlates with the arrival of the coronavirus  which looks like it will destroy that economic upturn completely
70%
 
Lira
Again my ( by now) generic statement that 2020 is a particularly key year for the currency.
I thought that January and February would see pressures from the outside world causing  major falls in the currency- actually although the currency did fall it was not a large one merely a continuation of    the trend from mid 2019.
I was however right about March onwards. I said that there seemed to be a vast amount of funds moving now- enough to undermine whole markets and economies. I thought that economic shocks would lead to a continuation of January and February trends, but that there coudl be a big turning point in these 4 months. This was on the money will a big fall in March though to May but a turning point from early May.
90%
 
South africa
I correctly ( though not terribly surprisingly) said that January and February 2020 see challenges to both the financial position and the leadership ( related to financial position and long term fundamentals) and sure enough the government was being criticized both for not being decisive and for any decisions.
I said that March to June would continues the theme, but now it is much more dramatic. Of course the added complication of the virus makes thins even more difficult there..
I did also say the indicators suggest that this is good for the people in general and in some ways it may have been with more money available and lockdowns probably helping reduce violent crime ( by 60-80%)
 

Comments